System Development is the process of developing an IT solution that will work for a specific purpose, which may be of a purely organisational nature or have a business purpose. The purpose of the computer system is to facilitate administration, streamline work processes, improve communication, create more business opportunities and link the organisation, with more.
The process of system development can be described as follows, from ordering it to deploying the system:
- Receive an order in a simple or complex computer system, i.e. a system consisting of hardware and software that processes data in a meaningful way.
- Write a structured requirements specification on the system, with the task of clearly specifying the dimensions and other requirements of the service or product ordered. The specified requirements are usually compiled in a document that provides an overview of the client's wishes and requirements for user functions, user experience, and other potential requirements to be produced.
- Implement systemization, which is the first practical phase in the work of system development. In the systems phase, the specified requirements are first translated and processed into functions and information models. Then these are converted to application devices and databases, and user interface and interface between programs. It is of enormous importance to carry out systemisation properly, as it lays a foundation for further work, therefore one should be focused on the logic of the link between requirements and functions.
- Once the system has been programmed, it is time to test it, to ensure good quality software. Focus areas are performance, reliability, stability, compatibility, maintainability, usability and performance. Despite the fact that there are a variety of approaches, both manual and automated, everyone has to live with the realisation that you can never test a program completely, because the number of possibilities is practically infinite. However, it is possible to prevent and find errors, bugs or other problems, verify that the system meets the requirements, investigate whether the system behaves in an undesirable way under different circumstances, and show that the system meets customer expectations.
- After successful testing and correction of any errors, the the system is ready to be put into operation. When the system is in operation, you can really see how the system works and how it behaves in operation. Possible errors must be reported immediatelyare analysed and addressed as quickly as possible.
The work with system development traditionally takes place according to different development methodologies, each with its advantages and disadvantages.
- The waterfall model dates back to the 1950s and is adapted to structured programming.
- Agile methods is more recent and is based on the gradual development of many partial deliveries.
The Vattenfall model for system development
The waterfall model is a sequential system development process where progress is seen as a flow, in the form of a waterfall, downwards. It is applied in system development through different phases: preparation, establishment, analysis, design, construction, testing, production release and maintenance.
The following steps, in the order mentioned, should be followed in the process of system development:
- Requirements specification
- Construction (implementation, programming or coding)
- Test and completion (verification)
The model stipulates that you should make sure that you have completed one step before starting work on the next.
Benefits of the water model for system development:
- Identifies problems early in the planning process that can save both time and money
- Hierarchical project starting with A, then B, then C and finally D.
- Cost control, the client (payer) can decide at each stage whether to start, continue, end or suspend the project. A project should be able to be resumed using the documents already made.
- Resource planning or procurement can be done between the steps. If the requirements specification and design are good enough, anyone should be able to implement the system.
- What is delivered is tested and quality assured.
- The Vattenfall model is also relatively clear and easy to understand, which saves time for a project team as the model does not need to be explained in as much detail at the start of the process as less familiar models.
- If a project is paused and is to be resumed in the future, the model means that documentation is available to help see where work was completed and how far it has progressed and what needs to be done to complete the project.
Disadvantages of the water model for system development:
- The waterfall model pushes quality problems ahead and creates an increased risk of later delivery with more quality problems and increased cost compared to iterative models.
- The testing of the project is in the final stages, which means that if a bug were to occur, it would in turn involve a lot of backtracking (and back to already completed phases, and that takes both time and money).
- The Vattenfall model assumes that the requirements/tasks/features will not change during the course of the project, which means that the model does not handle changes.
- Time estimates for the work may be miscalculated as the method does not use continuous reconciliation.
- A change proposal (supplementary order) must go through several steps to be implemented.
- There will be many documents. Several of them are necessary, others may not be read.
- Often computer systems are much more complex than building a house, so this model can only be used to a certain extent in computer system projects.
Agile methods for system development
System development with agile methods is a collective name for a number of system development methods which can be used for software development, also called agile methods or iterative methods. The methods follow the philosophy and principles formulated in the The Manifesto for Agile Systems Development, 2001 by a group of programmers.
They had reacted to failed IT development projects that are locked into unrealistic project plans, and suffer from overly bureaucratised documentation instead of demonstration of results, and from overly detailed requirements specifications and extensive contract writing instead of functioning communication between customer and supplier.
A basic idea in agile methods is that work is carried out incrementally and iteratively, which means that working partial deliveries of functionality take place regularly according to a schedule and that plans and methods are continually evaluated and improved.
Effective and user-centred development is pursued through close collaboration throughout the development process with frequent and regular meetings between developers and clients/recipients. Goals and visions are formulated early, rather than working towards hard and detailed technical requirements. The detailed requirements specification becomes an end result of the development project rather than an input.
The agile approach believes that it is more often people and communication than tools and formal documents that solve problems during development.
Another key idea is to minimise the risk that a large part of a system is in a half-finished state and cannot deliver benefits. An agile approach enables decision-makers to be better informed about decisions to add additional resources to a project.
Examples of a number of "agile methods":
The twelve basic principles of Agile are:
- Our top priority is to satisfy the customer through timely and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile methods leverage change to the customer's competitive advantage.
- Delivering working software often on timescales from a few weeks to a few months, with a preference for the shorter timescale.
- Business people and developers have to work together on a daily basis throughout the project.
- Build the project around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and rely on them to get the job done.
- The most effective method of conveying information to and within a development team is face-to-face conversation between individuals.
- Working software is the main measure of progress.
- Agile processes promote sustainable development. Sponsors, developers and users should be able to maintain a steady pace of development indefinitely.
- Continuous attention to first-class technology and good design increases flexibility.
- Simplicity - the art of maximising the amount of work that is not done - is fundamental.
- The best architecture, requirements and design emerge from self-organising teams.
- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how it can become more effective, and adjusts and adapts its behaviour accordingly.
System development at Strativ AB
We at Strativ have a broad experience in system development with customers from different industries, but each customer is unique for us. We think it should be easy for you as a customer and easy for your users, because customer experience is of great value to us!
Complete solution, efficient processing, smooth communication and powerful distribution are the guiding principles of system development at Strativ. We deliver cost-effective and flexible IT solutions that increase the competitiveness of Swedish companies.
We has delivered solutions in a wide range of sectors, but to name a few: healthcare, where we developed a system consisting of a web portal and mobile application, for Vaccina in the battle with Covid-19; and the tourism sector, where we developed a cloud-based booking system for one of the main players in Sweden in sailing tourism, More Sailing.
Strativ's Smart Development methodology enables a cost effective and scalable system development. We work with custom web development, app development, websites and e-commerce of high quality. You can read more about our customer cases to get an idea of our capabilities in developing systems and smart solutions.
Do you have any thoughts on how you could add value to your business through digitisation? you are welcome to contact us to discuss solutions and possibilities. We love making smart calls and we're totally dedicated to our smart development, which makes us solution-oriented and proactive in the search for new value-creating methods.
We also have the expertise to create prototypes at different levels during the conceptualisation phase. This means that you can contact us even if you don't have a ready-made idea of what would be improved. All we need is communicates clearly and has good understanding for internal and external factors that may play a role in system development. The development team at Strativ have experience in many different industries and therefore a keen understanding of how different systems can improve your business, i.e. which system we need to develop to add value to your business.
Our Smart Developers work successfully in web development, where we develop new and user-friendly web systems in .NET, Java, PHP, Python, and others. We also offer services where we take over the management of existing customer systems.
Web development on Strativ is about developing business-critical web solutions with different types of integrations, specifically addressing the needs of the business. The goal is to increase the value of your business with the help of our cost-effective and flexible system development.
Work on web portals, booking systems, communication platforms, internal networks and the like, falls under web development. Scope of project size, when we talk about web development, can range from small simple projects to large complex systems that can span a longer time horizon.
To discuss in more detail the possibilities with web development for your business, please contact us for a free meeting.
In one world where smartphones are so accessible, and offer huge opportunities for interacting with individuals, organisations and businesses, where you can also manage your errands and organise your daily life, all in the palm of your hand, the importance of mobile applications has increased significantly. This means that app development is now an important aspect of system development.
App development at Strativ is time-saving and convenient. Our development team is there to ensure that your specified requirements are systematised, programmed and tested correctly, so that the application can be properly deployed.
Our Smart Developers works with web and native technologies integrated with each other enabling cross platform app development, i.e. the application can run on multiple platforms. This creates the conditions for cost-effective and flexible system development.
To discuss in more detail the possibilities of app development for your business, please contact us for a free meeting.
Business interaction is becoming increasingly digital and companies have the chance to reach out to a wider range of potential customers, while customers have an easier time finding information about a specific product or service provider.
This means that the company's website is the main focal point for communicating with the market. Therefore we are at Strativ is dedicated to developing websites that are relevant, impactful and highly user-friendly.
With our strategic and innovative approach to system development, we can ensure that your website becomes a business-critical system that will generate value for your business.
To discuss in more detail the possibilities of websites for your business, please contact us for a free meeting.
The possibilities that system development has created for e-commerce are enormous and today it is quite possible to shop easily and smoothly, where the product is one click away. All this thanks to the system development of functional web shops.
Our creative development team has extensive experience with both Magento and Woocommerce for the development of web shops and e-commerce platforms. User-friendly, appealing and with a secure user experience, our web shops are a safe bet for your store.
We focus on creating converted web shops with responsive design in focus, providing the best conditions for successful e-commerce. Our smart system development simplifies the trading process, as well as making resource savings for both parties in the trading interaction.
To discuss in more detail the potential of e-commerce for your business, please contact us for a free meeting.
Systems development with Strativ adds value to your business
We are masters at creating synergies and achieving cost efficiency. We work on customised system development with our expertise according to your requirements. Our hybrid solution consisting of project management and customer care in Sweden and system development in Dhaka, Bangladesh, enables us to we can deliver IT services to the Swedish market at affordable prices, while maintaining the Nordic quality when delivering. This is the first argument why we are a reliable development partner for you and your business, for systems development that adds value to your business.
Our approach combines creativity and strategic skills with a fierce passion for technology and data. Our values are integrity, intelligence, positive energy and enthusiasm, which permeate every part of the process when working on systems development.
The ability to also work with integration of different systems, gives us the desired breadth when the customer wants us to take over an existing system to develop and integrate it with other elements of the system. For example, the development of web applications for traceability and RMA tools, such as provides better control over the product lifecycle and makes direct savings that add value to the business.
Today, we at Strativ are proud to say that the vision that drives us is real. We see that our mission of adding value to our client companies is leaving a successful trail. With offices in Stockholm, Linköping and Dhaka, with over 50 satisfied employees and over 100 satisfied customers, we proudly offer the solutions that specifically meet our customers' needs.
Customer experience is of great value to us!
To discuss in more detail the possibilities of systems development for your business, please contact us for a free meeting.